The Police Foundation has established an educational scholarship program to assist qualified individuals in their pursuit of continuing education.
The Foundation’s “Herb and Penny Wender Scholarship Program” consists of two individual scholarships in the amount of $2,500 each which will be awarded at the conclusion of the 2016-2017 academic year. Funding and final selection decisions are solely at the discretion of the Foundation’s scholarship committee.
Prospective applicants should carefully read the guidelines and procedures and provide the necessary information on the appropriate application forms.
- All applicants must be either residents of the City of Palm Beach Gardens or employed by, or be the dependents of, persons currently employed by the Palm Beach Gardens Police Department. Employees must have been with the Department a minimum of one year. Current active members of the Palm Beach Gardens Police Department Explorer Post are also eligible.
- Applicants must be seeking undergraduate, graduate or technical studies at an accredited post secondary educational institution and be enrolled and accepted for either full or part-time studies.
- Applicants must only use scholarship funds for tuition, fees and educational institution housing.
The selection of the scholarship recipients will be made by a Foundation appointed scholarship review committee taking into consideration the following criteria.
- The applicants record of scholastic achievement with a minimum requirement of a 3.0 grade point average.
- The applicants record of prior community service.
- The application will include a one (1) page essay on a topic indicated in the application.
- The applicant will provide three (3) recommendations from instructors, coaches, supervisors or other adults they have worked with.
All completed applications must be returned to the Palm Beach Gardens Police Foundation by US Mail and postmarked no later than April 14, 2017. Documents requested from third parties such as the applicant’s school transcripts and letters of recommendation must accompany the application. Applicants should keep a complete copy of all materials submitted. Decision will be announced on or about June 1, 2017.
This is not strictly a needs based scholarship, but financial need will be considered. All personal information and scholastic information will be used for verification purposes only. Applications will be judged on the following criteria: (1) Academic achievement (2) Community/volunteer achievements (3) Submitted Essay and (4) Financial Need (5) Other criteria as deemed important by the Committee.
- The application package may only be submitted by US Mail. Hand delivered, couriered or Internet/electronic applications will not be considered.
- Handwritten essays will not be considered.
- Applicants not submitting a complete application package will not be considered.
- Application packages postmarked after the deadline date will not be considered.
- Members of the Police Foundation Board of Directors or their dependents are not eligible to apply.
- Employment information for sponsoring police department employees will be verified for all applicable applicants.
- Applicants must be prepared to appear personally for an interview by the scholarship committee, if deemed necessary.
- Scholarship recipients may be required to submit a brief questionnaire and a picture of themselves. These items may be used on our website and/or in articles written about our scholarship program.
Updates: To receive future updates from the Palm Beach Gardens Police Foundation regarding scholarship information please sign-up for Email Alerts HERE. If you have any questions regarding your application, please contact us by visiting: Contact the PBGPF.